No Dig Potatoes

I planted a new row of No Dig Potatoes today.

Firstly I mowed the grass really short next to last months Spuds and covered the ground with a good dressing of Rock Dust, Cow Manure and Skim Milk Powder (you can add Sulphate of Potash if you wish), then I watered the Fertiliser well to wash the Nutrients etc into the soil.

Next came the cardboard laid out along the row with holes cut every 30 cm for the Seed Potato ( the cardboard stops the grass and weeds growing through the mulch and adds cheap Organic Matter).

 Lastly a layer of Mulch 20 cm deep is spread along the row to cover the Seed Potatoes and then watered well again. This is then added to as the Potatoes sprout keeping only the very top of the plant in the direct sunlight, when the plants flower then you can start harvesting as normal. You just pull the mulch away from the plant as you need to Harvest, again no digging.

The beauty of this system apart from being a lot easier on your back is that in heavy soils like I have in this garden the Potatoes are always above the soil line and don't drown during a wet period, at the moment in this spot there is water directly below the
grass line which always struggles to grow anything.

I interplanted Cabbage as a good Companion and Marigolds to deter pests.

I also planted some Garlic amongst the Tomatoes today to help with Pest Protection.


Be Happy,

Barry.

Visit my Organic Gardening Website

Have a look at my Travel Blog