![]() |
| Cucumber No 3 |
![]() |
| Lady bird |
Update No 3 on my cucumbers, they have hit their straps now and are setting fruit as well as running really strongly. The clover cover crop has covered the soil around the base of the plant now, it will be contributing Nitrogen and beneficial soil bacteria that will help it through the growing season.
While I was taking the first photo a lady bird turned up for a stroll across the leaf. These are why you don't have to and shouldn't spray your crop. Lady birds consume most insects that you don't want so they are your natural spraying system.
After a couple of years of genuine Organic gardening you will find lady birds through your garden, but no nasties. In the first two years of this new garden if I found any insects I didn't want I used the two finger method (squashed them!) and then with regular use of Fish/Seaweed/Molasses leaf fertilizers (to repel any pests) and using organic fertilizer instead of chemical fertilizer the garden is bug free.
Be Happy,
Barry.
Visit my Travel Blog

